
— Mike Rezendes,
Investigative reporter,
Boston Globe
Bulletin photos by Avital Brodski
Rezendes: Trust your hunches
By Daniel McLoone
Bulletin Correspondent
Sometimes the best investigative stories are the ones that come from following a hunch, according to Mike Rezendes, an investigative reporter with The Boston Globe’s Spotlight team.
Rezendes spoke to an audience of about 40 people in Northeastern University’s Curry Student Center Monday, Oct. 30, as a featured speaker at the New England First Amendment Institute.
“Listen to your hunches and listen to that voice in the back of your head that says, ‘Hey, wait a minute, this doesn’t seem quite right’,” Rezendes said.
Rezendes focused on two of the major investigative stories that he has worked on with the Globe’s Spotlight team. He talked about the team’s investigation of sexual abuse of children by clergy in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston, which led to a Best Picture Oscar award for the film “Spotlight” in 2015. Rezendes spent most of his speech talking about his stories investigating prison guard abuse leading to an inmate death at Bridgewater (Mass.) State Hospital.
Rezenedes’ initial hunch about that story came after Joshua Messier, a man with no criminal record but a history of mental illness, was killed after lashing out at an orderly. The coroner’s report ruled the death a homicide, but Bridgewater State Hospital took no action as a followup.
“Within six weeks, Joshua had been brutally killed by guards a Bridgewater in what was ironically called the Intensive Treatment Room,” Rezendes said. “I just thought it was odd that there would be a homicide and no action taken.”
Rezendes’ hunch proved to be right; his investigation led to the discovery of Bridgewater State prison guards using four-point restraints and isolated containment, methods of restraining the mentally ill that were not common practices around the country.
“Not only did the guards violate a half-dozen rules and policies, but there had been a cover-up in Joshua’s death,” Rezendes said.
His investigation led to the indictment of three of the guards present during Messier’s death, and the dismissal of the assistant commissioner of the Massachusetts department overseeing Bridgewater State.
“I think a lot of newspapers or news organizations would have declared victory and moved on,” Rezendes said. “But I had a second hunch: What if Joshua wasn’t the only one?”
Again, Rezendes’ hunch proved to be correct. He found a total of three deaths at Bridgewater State from similar actions and eventually wrote more than 30 front-page stories during a three-year period on the topic as he got more information. He found that prison guards at Bridgewater State used four-point restraints more than 100 percent more than other mental health institutions in Massachusetts.
“There’s a contrast between punishment and treatment,” Rezendes said about Bridgewater State, which is the only mental hospital in the United States run by a corrections department rather than a health department. “Mental health patients should be treated, not punished.”
Following up on your initial story is crucial in making sure that nothing has been missed, because those being investigated will try to limit the damage to one story, Rezendes said.
“The follow-up is critical, but you have to have something to latch on to,” Rezendes said. “This is what institutions will do, try to make it a one-day story … You can’t let them. You have to keep going, but like I said, you have to have new information.”























Woody Klein has retired as a news columnist for the Westport News after 50 years. Klein’s career began as a reporter for the Mount Vernon (N.Y.) Daily Argus. He then was a night police and general assignment reporter for The Washington Post for a year and a half before joining the New York World-Telegram & Sun, where he covered poverty, politics, housing and civil rights. From 1992 to 1997, beginning at age 63, Klein was the Westport News’ editor. He oversaw reporters who won many awards for their work. One piece, Behind Closed Doors, about abuse of women in their homes in Westport and Weston, was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize. Klein wrote a 400-page book about the town’s history, titled “Westport Connecticut: The Story of a New England Town’s Rise to Prominence” and published in 2000. Klein has won numerous awards for his writing. His 10-part series, I Lived in a Slum, was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize in 1965. In 1964, Klein’s first book, “Let in the Sun,” was published. It told the story of his time as an undercover reporter in some of New York’s worst tenements. He wrote eight more books, with themes such as politics and poverty, while at the Westport News. After his time at the World-Telegram & Sun, Klein spent three years as then-New York Mayor John V. Lindsay’s press secretary. Klein later joined IBM, where he spent 24 years in communications for its manufacturing, development and marketing divisions. His last role at IBM was editor of Think magazine, the company’s international employee magazine distributed in more than 170 countries. Klein began his column, Out of the Woods, in the Westport News soon after he began working at IBM.
John Tabor is retiring as president and publisher of Seacoast Media Group, based in Portsmouth, after 40 years in newspapers. Seacoast publishes the Portsmouth Herald, Foster’s Daily Democrat of Dover, and weeklies in New Hampshire and Maine. It also is a commercial printer whose clients include the New Hampshire Union Leader of Manchester; The Sun of Lowell, Mass.; and the Sentinel & Enterprise of Fitchburg, Mass. Seacoast provides digital marketing, direct mail and commercial delivery services too. After graduating from Yale University in 1977, Tabor interned at The Providence (R.I.) Journal. He then joined the copy desk at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, and later became a police and court reporter for the Arizona Star of Tucson. After that, he bought a weekly for Mead Publishing of Lakeport, Calif., with a college friend. The paper increased its publication to five days a week before Tabor sold his share in the weekly to Mead. Tabor then published the Portsmouth Press with the former Ottaway Newspapers in 1987, initiating a newspaper rivalry with the Portsmouth Herald. An economic recession that began in 1991 resulted in the closing of the Portsmouth Press in 1993. Tabor briefly became general manager of the Pocono (Pa.) Record. In 1994, he was named publisher of Rockingham County Newspapers, including the Exeter News-Letter, the Hampton Union and the Rockingham News. In 1997, in a newspaper swap between the owners of Rockingham County Newspapers and the Portsmouth Herald resulted in the Herald merging with Rockingham County Newspapers, Seacoast Media’s first website, Seacoastonline.com, was launched that year. In 2001, Seacoast acquired the York (Maine) Weekly and York County Coast Star of Kennebunk, Maine
Melvin Stone
Richard E. Rappoli
William F. Dougherty
Frank Edward Keane
Derek C. Gentile
Karlene Kelley Hale
Mildred Cole Péladeau
Anthony Randolph ‘Tony’ Jenkins
Christina Caturano
Robert J. Kmon Sr.
We’re a big part of the fix for ‘junk news’
Gene Policinski
Inside the First Amendment
Gene Policinski is chief operating officer of the Newseum Institute and senior vice president of the Institute’s First Amendment Center. He can be reached at gpolicinski@newseum.org.
Follow him on Twitter:
@genefac
Let’s stop talking so much about “fake news.”
Not that we should ever cease identifying, talking about or countering misinformation, be it accidental error, the result of negligent work, or deliberately false — to which we must now add propaganda tactics aimed at destabilizing our democracy.
We face all those types of misinformation today; amplified as they are by platforms that allow for instantaneous, worldwide communication.
But the term “fake news” no longer has any real meaning as a national concern or a problem to be dealt with. The term has become far too politicized and much too imprecise, now serving as a catch-all for information anyone sees as divisive, disagreeable, biased or plain wrong. Instead, I prefer a term offered by my Newseum Education colleagues: “junk news.”
Regardless of what we call it, less talk and more action on misinformation is where our focus ought to be. Media Literacy Week, which took place Nov. 6 through 10, is as good a time to start as any.
NewseumED, the Newseum’s nonpartisan education arm, offered information and tools to help students — and all of us — navigate today’s complex media landscape. Its collections of resources are all aimed at helping us understand how news is made and how we can take a more active and responsible role in the information cycle. That includes having the skills to evaluate information, filter out fake news, separate facts and opinions, recognize bias, detect propaganda, spot errors in the news and take charge of our role as media consumers and contributors.
As junk news continues to infiltrate the newsfeeds of millions of social media users, education and awareness have become the best line of defense against the spread of misinformation and disinformation. Where journalists once served as the “gatekeepers” of society’s daily information consumption, today anyone with internet access can create and distribute content, and spread information by sharing it on social media.
For many people, that’s more comfortable and a better option: the power to choose and shape what we need to know, rather than having it fed to us by a select few. But with that power should come a greater sense of responsibility to draw our news from as many reliable, diverse sources as we can.
Failure to do that has created the now-infamous condition in which social media’s omnipresent algorithms track our every keystroke to present us with news that we “like” — or in other words, news that plays to our existing opinions and biases.
Sure, there was a time when readers would settle on a favorite TV network or, in an even earlier era, a favorite radio station for the nightly news. Newspaper readers in communities where there were multiple daily publications would subscribe to one over the others. Much of the non-local news, for good or bad, contained the same information — very often taken from wire services that prided themselves on their ability to “get it first, get it right — but above all, get it right, first.” Those were the days when CBS News anchor Walter Cronkite was called the “most trusted man” in the nation, by virtue of that news media mantle.
In today’s news world, where those long-standing print and broadcast news outlets are barely standing, and new media players have yet to show the depth or credibility it takes long to develop, we as consumers must take less on “faith” and more on “fact.”
For their part, news operations, think tanks, social media companies and others are working on ways to help consumers play a more responsible role in the daily news cycle. Verifying stories and tightening ethical standards are good starts, but significant obstacles lay in the path — namely, the declining revenue and resources of traditional press organizations, and the new Web-based media economy that depends on eyeballs and clicks. In such an environment, thorough “accountability” reporting — often dull but always necessary — has fallen by the wayside.
There are some signs that people are rethinking a reliance on just one site, which is a good first step to improving our news diet. According to the Pew Research Center, about a quarter of all U.S. adults (26 percent) get their news from two or more social media sites, up from 15 percent in 2013 and 18 percent in 2016. But consumers shouldn’t stop with just “more” — our daily intake needs to consist of varied, credible sources. Otherwise, consumers trap themselves in a news bubble or echo chamber, in which they only see information that confirms and reinforces their opinions instead of challenging them.
At a recent forum on First Amendment issues and fake news, I advanced a long-held theory of mine that eventually news consumers will demand information on which they can rely, and will over time migrate to those sources; that credibility will be the news currency of the 21st century
But it’s no longer the province of news providers alone to build that demand. Individual consumers must join in that effort by getting savvier about the news. In a twist on an old saying, “Let the buyer be aware.”