Media Jobs In New England
CURRENT JOB OPENINGS
Do you have an omnivorous appetite but discerning palate? Can you write delicious prose about food and drink? Are you knowledgeable about food systems, from farm to table? If your answers are yes, yes and yes, we’d like to meet you! We’re looking for a curious, diligent and experienced reporter who’s eager to sniff out food news, as well as craft compelling stories about the people, places and products that make up the local food scene. Responsibilities would include involvement in the creation of our annual dining and nightlife guide, 7Nights, and Vermont Restaurant Week. In return, we offer a competitive salary, benefits, and a fun, stimulating environment in a thriving, locally owned media company. Note: Applicant must have a current driver’s license, insurance and access to a vehicle, as the position routinely requires in-state travel.
Please email a résumé, cover letter and at least three published articles (web links are acceptable) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, April 29. Seven Days is an equal opportunity employer.
Our award-winning culture crew needs a hand. That is, an excellent writer with reporting experience and unique voice, a passion for the arts, a sense of humor and curiosity about Vermont’s creative sectors. Responsibilities include finding and contributing kickass content in the form of arts news, features, previews, reviews or interviews. In return, we offer a competitive salary, benefits, and a fun, stimulating environment in a thriving, locally owned media company. Note: Applicant must have a current driver’s license, insurance and access to a vehicle, as the position often requires in-state travel. Please email a résumé, cover letter and at least three published articles (web links are acceptable) to email@example.com by Monday, April 29. Seven Days is an equal opportunity employer
The Hartford Courant, a Pulitzer-prize winning publication seeks a journalist adept at world class photography with strong reporting and writing skills to help reinvent storytelling at the Hartford Courant. The migration of readers to social and digital platforms has opened the door to creative storyforms that incorporate words and images into a seamless online experience. The introduction of new formats at the Courant over the last year has driven both creativity in approach and audience engagement. We are looking for the right candidate to continue pushing that effort forward. We Offer: – Entrepreneurial, innovative, rewarding and team oriented work environment – Competitive base salary – Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance – 401(k) match – A generous (paid) flex time off policy. Submit resumes to Rick Green at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hartford Courant, a Pulitzer-prize winning publication seeks a Journalist who will create content for courant.com and other digital platforms that engages audiences and supports the newsroom’s mission. Develop, report, analyze and create original news and feature stories in text and other forms, including, when appropriate, video, audio, podcasts, Facebook Live events, simple graphics, etc. We Offer: – Entrepreneurial, innovative, rewarding and team oriented work environment – Competitive base salary – Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance – 401(k) match – A generous (paid) flex time off. Submit resumes to Rick Green at email@example.com.
The Hartford Courant, a Pulitzer-prize winning publication seeks a Senior Content Editor/Community Engagement who will take the lead in transforming the opinion mission of the Hartford Courant, working with the community to discover – rather than to prescribe – answers to community problems, being a champion for change and fostering diversity of thought, experience and worldview. The Hartford Courant in 2019 will dedicate itself through its opinion department to providing a forum for discussion and a platform for authentic, insightful voices to help drive the community conversation forward. This leader will work to engage stakeholders on key issues, working to understand many perspectives in order to deepen the quality of our own critical thinking and to signal that the Courant is welcoming, open-minded, independent, and respectful of all parties. The approaches will vary, but will include using in-person, social and digital tools to transform the editorial model and give voice to thought leaders in every corner of the community. We Offer: – Entrepreneurial, innovative, rewarding and team oriented work environment – Competitive base salary – Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance – 401(k) match – An unlimited (paid) flex time off policy. Submit resumes to Rick Green at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hartford Courant, a Pulitzer-prize winning publication with a proven track record of high impact watchdog journalism, is looking for an editor to champion and lead investigative efforts across the Courant newsroom. At a time when the political establishment is becoming both more guarded and defiant, the need to demand accountability and transparency is critical. The leader of this effort will have a two-part mission: Lead a dedicated team while also working to elevate the investigative metabolism of reporters across the entire newsroom. The ideal candidate will have experience in investigative journalism and a passion for telling the stories that need to be told. We Offer: – Entrepreneurial, innovative, rewarding and team oriented work environment – Competitive base salary – Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance – 401(k) match – An unlimited (paid) flex time off policy. Submit resumes to Rick Green at email@example.com.
Multimedia Politics Reporter- Springfield, MA
The Republican, located in Springfield, MA us looking for for a motivated, dedicated reporter who eats, breathes and sleeps politics, to live in Western Massachusetts and write about state and national issues from a regional perspective. You need a solid multimedia skill set, the ability to write on contentious issues and elections from a completely impartial point of view, and the initiative to own your beat. You also need the personal bandwidth to find your own stories and work independently while always keeping the team in the loop about your efforts. The ideal candidate will work from the office and field, file stories and photos/video remotely, and break the news when it happens.
Job Requirements Also Include:
- The ability to report, write clean copy, and break down complicated issues;
- The savvy to work remotely, on the fly, without the constraints of an office environment;
- The personality and tact to build an extensive source base to help scoop the competition and stay one step ahead of the news;
- Ability to aggregate from credible sources;
- Willingness to consistently engage audience on social media and MassLive comment streams;
- Knowledge of SEO best practices;
- Experience with a digital content management system;
- Early adopter of new technologies, new processes and best practices for creating and maintaining digital content to drive audience growth;
- The flexibility to work some evenings and a weekend general assignment shift;
- The ability to travel to cover national political conventions, presidential debates and events such as the New Hampshire primary;
- B.A. degree or equivalent experience.
The Republican offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including health & dental benefits, paid time off and 401k with match. The Republican is an equal opportunity employer. Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Part-time Journalism Instructor, Emerson College- Massachusetts
The Journalism Department at Emerson College is expanding and is seeking experienced journalists to teach part-time introductory or intermediate courses for the Fall 2019 semester. If you have several years of experience in reporting, editing or TV/radio production and if you want to teach at the college level, please send an email and a resume to Karen Bordeleau at email@example.com. Deadline for submissions is April 15, 2019.
Chief Revenue Officer, The Day Publishing Company- New London, Connecticut
We are looking for an innovative and experienced sales leader that has extensive and proven success to lead our sales organization to the next level of performance. The successful candidate will have an entrepreneurial mindset and the energy and passion to develop, lead and execute The Day’s revenue generation strategy. The CRO will work as our lead sales strategist driving best in class performance across advertising sales teams, marketing, creative, audience development, and agency services. The CRO is a vital member of The Day executive team and will collaborate with the president and publisher to generate additional revenue streams via digital marketing solutions, special events, advertising and marketing agency services, magazines, digital subscriptions and new e-commerce opportunities.
- Define, develop and execute our sales and retention strategy to drive accelerated and profitable revenue growth. Lead a team of sales and operational leaders working both strategically and tactically to drive revenue performance and operational excellence to enhance sales team performance.
- Create a high performing sales culture; assess, refine & innovate structure, processes and systems.
- Hold sales managers accountable for performance by reviewing metrics, including forecasting to maximize opportunities and determine areas for improvement.
- Lead creative new multimedia business development efforts to meet and exceed revenue growth objectives.
- Work with sales leaders to manage and develop customer growth strategies to expand share of our advertising customer’s marketing budgets.
- Adapt plans and priorities by interpreting evolving industry trends and understanding changing customer needs.
- Oversee sales operations to systematically train & equip current sales teams and onboard and train new sales representatives to maximum effectiveness.
- Evaluate and refine sales compensation models and reward & recognition systems to maximize impact.
- Work collaboratively with executive team on strategy and implementation of company initiatives.
- Sales Experience: At least ten years’ sales experience in a media sales organization.
- Management Experience: At least 5 years’ experience as a senior leader in a media company, preferably in the newspaper industry. Experience leading multiple sales teams and support departments.
- Team Leadership: Proven ability to mentor, coach, and develop people and lead high-performing teams.
- Revenue Growth: Proven track record of driving significant revenue growth and adept at creating new revenue opportunities.
- Innovative Thinking: Visionary, strategic and creative thinker who embraces and leads change efforts through innovative strategies, action plans, and resources.
- Sales Knowledge: Deep understanding of sales process, revenue forecasting, and revenue growth levers, preferably with strong digital sales experience.
- Ethical Standards: High level of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Marketer: Strong knowledge and understanding of all facets of advertising and marketing.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Leads with integrity to foster collaboration with cross-functional leaders.
- Strong Communication: Excellent presenter and communicator with internal and external customers and partners.
- Strategic Thinker: Ability to develop strategy with disciplined execution.
Qualified candidates should apply with a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Day Publishing Company is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity.
Journalist- Cape Cod
The Cape Cod Times is seeking a talented journalist for a key role in our award-winning newsroom.
The ideal candidate is a born leader who has strong writing and editing skills, experience leading enterprise projects, an innovative spirit, and is equally comfortable working on print and digital. The News Editor oversees news editors, reporters and photographers while working closely with other departments to produce top-shelf journalism in a wide variety of forms for a multitude of platforms. It is a hard, but rewarding job that wields significant influence in the newsroom and in the community.
Cape Cod is an interesting community to cover, with a year-round population largely comprised of college-educated retirees but with layers of diversity in age, race and socio-economic status. Tourism is the dominant industry and the face of the Cape changes significantly in the summer and shoulder seasons.
Job expectations include:
- Working with the Executive Editor and other newsroom editors in developing and implementing news strategies.
- Having strong organizational and communication skills.
- Having hands-on experience editing stories on deadline and contributing to large-scale editorial projects.
- Working closely with digital team in analyzing data and formulating strategies for audience growth.
- Tracking and evaluate team and individual performance and lead training efforts to develop staff.
- Having the ability to be both decisive and collaborative.
- Upholding the highest standards of content quality and journalism ethics.
Four-year college degree in journalism or related field, at least three years’ supervisory experience and fluency with various aspects of digital media.
If you are an enthusiastic believer in the future of journalism, enjoy working hard while having fun, and excel when working with others, we are looking for you. Send a letter of interest, resume and work samples to email@example.com with “NEWS EDITOR” in the subject line.
Outside Sales Account Executive Wanted- New Hampshire
The Nashua Telegraph, located in Nashua, New Hampshire is seeking an experienced and
results driven salesperson to join our energetic sales team. The individual in this role would provide appropriate product solutions for our customers and nurture them through the purchase flow from start to finish. Candidates for this position should prioritize customer care, acquisition, and company profitably. Candidates should be self-motivated, energetic and team players.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate and qualify leads via phone and email
- Schedule sales appointments and activities
- Promote products/services to new and existing customers
- Perform cost-benefit and needs analysis of new and existing customers
- Close sales by means of excellent customer service and salesmanship
- Maintain positive business and customer relationships to prolong customer lifetime value
- Ability to meet and exceed target revenue goals
- Deliver best in class account development, detailed proposals and on-site presentations
Education and Training
- Excellent computer skills, web application
- B.A/B.S in Business or 2+ years of sales experience
- 60% travel to local customer locations
- Personal vehicle
- Valid drivers license
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, with vacation, sick and holiday time as well as medical, dental and life insurance options and 401K Please send resume and cover letter to: Lynda Vallatini, Advertising and Marketing Director Lvallatini@nashuatelegraph.com
Staff Writer- Rhode Island
Providence Business News, Southern New England’s leading business publication, is looking for an enterprising, energetic reporter to help cover one of the nation’s most diverse business communities. From finance to manufacturing to health care to politics to tourism to technology, Providence and the surrounding region provide an endless variety of stories.
PBN breaks news, but we also give the business community a smart take on what is happening, most often through our in-depth cover stories, which all reporters get a chance to produce. We inform our readers through multiple channels, from a weekly print edition, digital reporting, regular community-based panel discussions and other emerging technologies.
We would prefer a business reporting background, but it is more important to demonstrate an interest in learning and a talent for clear communication.
PBN is locally owned, meaning we care about this community; it is where we live.
Send resume and writing samples to:
Mark S. Murphy, editor, firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls.