Media Jobs In New England
CURRENT JOB OPENINGS
Chief Revenue Officer, The Day Publishing Company- New London, Connecticut
We are looking for an innovative and experienced sales leader that has extensive and proven success to lead our sales organization to the next level of performance. The successful candidate will have an entrepreneurial mindset and the energy and passion to develop, lead and execute The Day’s revenue generation strategy. The CRO will work as our lead sales strategist driving best in class performance across advertising sales teams, marketing, creative, audience development, and agency services. The CRO is a vital member of The Day executive team and will collaborate with the president and publisher to generate additional revenue streams via digital marketing solutions, special events, advertising and marketing agency services, magazines, digital subscriptions and new e-commerce opportunities.
- Define, develop and execute our sales and retention strategy to drive accelerated and profitable revenue growth. Lead a team of sales and operational leaders working both strategically and tactically to drive revenue performance and operational excellence to enhance sales team performance.
- Create a high performing sales culture; assess, refine & innovate structure, processes and systems.
- Hold sales managers accountable for performance by reviewing metrics, including forecasting to maximize opportunities and determine areas for improvement.
- Lead creative new multimedia business development efforts to meet and exceed revenue growth objectives.
- Work with sales leaders to manage and develop customer growth strategies to expand share of our advertising customer’s marketing budgets.
- Adapt plans and priorities by interpreting evolving industry trends and understanding changing customer needs.
- Oversee sales operations to systematically train & equip current sales teams and onboard and train new sales representatives to maximum effectiveness.
- Evaluate and refine sales compensation models and reward & recognition systems to maximize impact.
- Work collaboratively with executive team on strategy and implementation of company initiatives.
- Sales Experience: At least ten years’ sales experience in a media sales organization.
- Management Experience: At least 5 years’ experience as a senior leader in a media company, preferably in the newspaper industry. Experience leading multiple sales teams and support departments.
- Team Leadership: Proven ability to mentor, coach, and develop people and lead high-performing teams.
- Revenue Growth: Proven track record of driving significant revenue growth and adept at creating new revenue opportunities.
- Innovative Thinking: Visionary, strategic and creative thinker who embraces and leads change efforts through innovative strategies, action plans, and resources.
- Sales Knowledge: Deep understanding of sales process, revenue forecasting, and revenue growth levers, preferably with strong digital sales experience.
- Ethical Standards: High level of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Marketer: Strong knowledge and understanding of all facets of advertising and marketing.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Leads with integrity to foster collaboration with cross-functional leaders.
- Strong Communication: Excellent presenter and communicator with internal and external customers and partners.
- Strategic Thinker: Ability to develop strategy with disciplined execution.
Qualified candidates should apply with a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The Day Publishing Company is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity.
Journalist- Cape Cod
The Cape Cod Times is seeking a talented journalist for a key role in our award-winning newsroom.
The ideal candidate is a born leader who has strong writing and editing skills, experience leading enterprise projects, an innovative spirit, and is equally comfortable working on print and digital. The News Editor oversees news editors, reporters and photographers while working closely with other departments to produce top-shelf journalism in a wide variety of forms for a multitude of platforms. It is a hard, but rewarding job that wields significant influence in the newsroom and in the community.
Cape Cod is an interesting community to cover, with a year-round population largely comprised of college-educated retirees but with layers of diversity in age, race and socio-economic status. Tourism is the dominant industry and the face of the Cape changes significantly in the summer and shoulder seasons.
Job expectations include:
- Working with the Executive Editor and other newsroom editors in developing and implementing news strategies.
- Having strong organizational and communication skills.
- Having hands-on experience editing stories on deadline and contributing to large-scale editorial projects.
- Working closely with digital team in analyzing data and formulating strategies for audience growth.
- Tracking and evaluate team and individual performance and lead training efforts to develop staff.
- Having the ability to be both decisive and collaborative.
- Upholding the highest standards of content quality and journalism ethics.
Four-year college degree in journalism or related field, at least three years’ supervisory experience and fluency with various aspects of digital media.
If you are an enthusiastic believer in the future of journalism, enjoy working hard while having fun, and excel when working with others, we are looking for you. Send a letter of interest, resume and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “NEWS EDITOR” in the subject line.
Outside Sales Account Executive Wanted- New Hampshire
The Nashua Telegraph, located in Nashua, New Hampshire is seeking an experienced and
results driven salesperson to join our energetic sales team. The individual in this role would provide appropriate product solutions for our customers and nurture them through the purchase flow from start to finish. Candidates for this position should prioritize customer care, acquisition, and company profitably. Candidates should be self-motivated, energetic and team players.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate and qualify leads via phone and email
- Schedule sales appointments and activities
- Promote products/services to new and existing customers
- Perform cost-benefit and needs analysis of new and existing customers
- Close sales by means of excellent customer service and salesmanship
- Maintain positive business and customer relationships to prolong customer lifetime value
- Ability to meet and exceed target revenue goals
- Deliver best in class account development, detailed proposals and on-site presentations
Education and Training
- Excellent computer skills, web application
- B.A/B.S in Business or 2+ years of sales experience
- 60% travel to local customer locations
- Personal vehicle
- Valid drivers license
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, with vacation, sick and holiday time as well as medical, dental and life insurance options and 401K Please send resume and cover letter to: Lynda Vallatini, Advertising and Marketing Director Lvallatini@nashuatelegraph.com
Staff Writer- Rhode Island
Providence Business News, Southern New England’s leading business publication, is looking for an enterprising, energetic reporter to help cover one of the nation’s most diverse business communities. From finance to manufacturing to health care to politics to tourism to technology, Providence and the surrounding region provide an endless variety of stories.
PBN breaks news, but we also give the business community a smart take on what is happening, most often through our in-depth cover stories, which all reporters get a chance to produce. We inform our readers through multiple channels, from a weekly print edition, digital reporting, regular community-based panel discussions and other emerging technologies.
We would prefer a business reporting background, but it is more important to demonstrate an interest in learning and a talent for clear communication.
PBN is locally owned, meaning we care about this community; it is where we live.
Send resume and writing samples to:
Mark S. Murphy, editor, email@example.com. No phone calls.
Late-Breaking News and GA Reporter- Connecticut
The Republican-American in Waterbury, Conn. seeks a late-breaking news and general assignment reporter. This reporter works an afternoon schedule, picking up where our morning online reporter leaves off. The online goal: to keep rep-am.com fresh, engaging, and on top of live breaking news. You’ve got to love adrenaline, relish a crime or disaster scene, and also appreciate working with beat reporters on any variety of news that breaks during the day. The print goal: Taking on daily and enterprise stories as the city editor and AME assign. Some days, you’ll write the print version of whatever you break live, particularly from late cop news; others, you’ll also be digging into future stories that require more depth of reporting and context. Requirements: Word Press, video shooting and editing, social media including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, ability to report across platforms and manage your time to contribute to both online and print editions. Fluency in Spanish a plus. Send cover letter on why you’re our best choice, resume, portfolio to with LATE BREAKING NEWS in your subject line. Deadline to apply: Feb. 28.
Special Projects Editor- Rhode Island
Providence Business News, Southern New England’s leading business publication, is looking for an enterprising, energetic reporter/editor to help cover one of the nation’s most diverse business communities. This position combines the challenge of mastering beat coverage, in this case of the health care industry in the region, with the satisfaction gained from shepherding PBN’s special publications, from assigning to editing through production. The skill sets required are varied and the expectations high, but this job is a key component of PBN’s success, something we are recognized for on a regular basis regionally and nationally.
PBN breaks news, but we also give the business community a smart take on what is happening. The special projects editor will function as both a web reporter and a print journalist (like all our beat reporters) when not editing. And they will help as needed update our WordPress-based website. All this activity allows us to inform our readers through multiple channels, from a weekly print edition, digital reporting, regular community-based panel discussions and other emerging technologies.
We would prefer a business reporting background, but it is more important to demonstrate an interest in learning and a talent for clear and precise communication.
PBN is locally owned, meaning we care about this community; it is where we live.
Send resume and writing samples to:
Mark S. Murphy, editor, firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls.
Summer Intern- Connecticut
The Republican-American and Sunday Republican of Waterbury, Conn. seek summer 2019 interns. We’ve got walls covered with awards for our ethical, accurate, hard-hitting, community-focused journalism and a tradition of teaching the next generation how to do it right. We seek journalists with ambition, determination and a desire to make an impact in both their communities and in our industry. Bring your desire to learn to deliver engaging reports across platforms. Experience required at a college paper or another internship. These paid internships run about 10 weeks. We treat our interns as staffers and help them climb as high as they are able. Past rep-am interns have carried front pages, produced double-truck special projects, scooped the full-time pros and built online, print and photo portfolios worthy of any first-year reporter. Reporting positions and one copy editing and layout slot possible for the right candidate. Along with experience, other requirements include car, car insurance, cell phone with camera and/or a camera, a desire to learn and work hard, and you need to find a place to live.
Send a letter explaining why you’re the best candidate, at least three clips and photo and video samples to email@example.com with News Intern 2019 in the subject line. Deadline to apply: Feb. 28.
Multimedia Advertising Consultant
Join our innovative team and transform how local businesses think about marketing.
You will be trained in solution-based sales techniques:
• Uncover the unique sales proposition of every client
• Customize a marketing plan that includes:
A multi-media proposal including newspaper, online, niche magazines, email marketing, and lots more products to come this year.
Provide excellent service to existing client base.
This is a high paced, collaborative sales culture that embraces continuous learning and development. Your expertise will be rewarded with competitive performance-based base pay and commissions.
Qualifications · Media sales experience preferable, but not required · Demonstrable track record of achieving aggressive goals. Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to keep organized · highly motivated and desire to succeed and work as part of a fast-paced team · Microsoft Office – Outlook, Word, Excel and adept at learning software apps. · Able to multi-task and manage multiple priorities.
Email your resume to John Hough at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finance Director- North of Boston Media Group (North Andover, Massachusetts)
The North of Boston Media Group seeks an experienced, high-energy, team player to manage its accounting department and related operations.
The finance director will manage the current reporting processes, drive automation of manual chores, and support CNHI’s overall financial strategy to consolidate business operations to North Andover. This person will oversee accounting and human resources functions for numerous print and digital publications located in multiple states. This individual will communicate financial results and forecasts to senior managers.
The finance director will participate in the development, implementation, and testing of financial software upgrades or installation projects. This individual will partner with our internal technology group to create and maintain documentation of processes and practices.
Candidates must have a four-year accounting or finance degree, four or more years’ experience working with business applications like Navision and TM1, as well as a background in accounting and financial reporting. This person must possess excellent technical skills with strong computer aptitude and advanced MS Excel skills. A background in human resource management is required. Experience in the media or advertising industry is a plus. Also essential are strong organizational and communication skills and a proven track record of management success. This person must be willing to travel as needed.
North of Boston Media Group produces eight newspaper publications, which include four daily newspapers – The Eagle-Tribune, The Salem News, Daily News of Newburyport and Gloucester Daily Times – multiple magazines and award-winning websites. For more information on NOBMG, visit www.nobmg.com.
Located in the Merrimack Valley region in northeast Massachusetts, North Andover is just 25 miles north of Boston. The Merrimack Valley has a wealth of history and cultural opportunities to experience and enjoy. Historic attractions of Greater Boston, the beauty of the White Mountains and Lakes Region in New Hampshire, and the sand and surf along miles of the Atlantic coast are all a short drive away. North Andover offers world-class health care facilities and superb higher education institutions. The area is rich with easy access to shopping, recreation, entertainment and diverse dining.
Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to Group Publisher Karen Andreas at email@example.com.
Online Editor- Greenfield, Massachusetts
Online editor The Greenfield (Mass.) Recorder – an award-winning, family-owned daily newspaper located in a beautiful corner of New England, but near its big cities and universities – seeks an editor to help grow online readership and brand by managing our website and social media. For 225 years we have produced good journalism for our community and now are dedicated to doing the same for the next 225 years by growing our digital audience. We are looking for an experienced journalist adept at publishing and promoting local news and features in the digital world to help us make this happen. Working knowledge of video and audio editing tools a plus.
If you want to work in a friendly, supportive newsroom and to grow as a journalist – and to help us grow – this is the place. Email resume, cover letter and clips to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to G. Forcier, Greenfield Recorder, 14 Hope St., Greenfield, MA 01301.
Posted December 2018
Copy Editor- Greenfield, Massachusetts
The Greenfield (Mass.) Recorder – an award-winning, family-owned daily located in a beautiful corner of New England, but near its big cities and universities – is adding a copy editor to its ranks to help handle local news and sports. This desk editor takes the hand-off from the managing editor for news and the sports desk each day and works with the rest of our newsroom, especially our web editor and reporters, on community coverage and nightly breaking news.
We care about good journalism and serving our community, and are growing our digital presence. We are looking for someone with newswriting and editing experience, familiarity with sports, strong language skills, news judgment and experience writing headlines and designing papers.
If you want to work in a friendly and supportive newsroom and to grow as a journalist, this is the place. Email resume, cover letter and clips to email@example.com or mail to G. Forcier, Greenfield Recorder, 14 Hope St., Greenfield, MA 01301.
Posted December 2018
Editor- Western Massachusetts
The editor for the Greenfield Recorder will be a forward thinking editor with a passion for local news, community leadership, and the competitive spirit to grow audience of our daily print, niche and digital products in Western Massachusetts. This is the top editorial leadership position at the Recorder and requires strong writing and editing skills as well as a strong working knowledge of how to drive the development of content for our audiences across multiple platforms including our websites, social media channels, and print products. We have a news team that produces award-winning products and has a strong commitment to community journalism. The Greenfield Recorder was named Distinguished Newspaper of the Year in 2016 by the New England Newspaper and Press Association.
- Lead, coach and develop newsroom team to achieve subscription growth across digital and print platforms.
- Serve as a key member of the editorial board and help shape the editorial voice of the newspaper
- Ensure the maintenance of high journalistic standards on a daily basis.
- Manage newsroom budget for maximum efficiency and strongest results.
- Serve as the newspaper’s public face in our communities.
- Work with leaders across departments to develop new products that grow our audiences and reach in the market.
- Use of web analytics tools to grow site traffic as well as in development of stories.
- Application of SEO research and best practices to stories, sections and projects.
- Work collaboratively on projects ranging from podcasts to video to enterprise stories.
- Managing and growing media brand social media audiences on Facebook and Twitter as well as exploring other platforms including LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Five or more years editorial management experience.
- Strong writing, editing organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of video and audio platforms.
- Proven success using Google Analytics or other enterprise analytics solutions to drive content decisions.
- Demonstrated experience using Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms for professional purposes.
- Understanding of and experiencing applying SEO best practices to web content.
- Rabid enthusiasm for learning new skills and technologies.
- Understanding of digital and print workflows and deadline requirements.
- A strong understanding of communications law.
- Bachelor’s degree.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the best ways to present news on all platforms – a digital leader with unique ideas for our print products. This position requires an effective leader with a history of attracting and retaining the best talent, while challenging existing staff. It is important that the editor have an excellent record of producing strong community journalism. The position requires a journalism or related degree, 5+ years of experience in newsroom management, exceptional editing skills, and knowledge of newsroom budgeting.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced journalism executive who seeks new challenges where skills and abilities will be utilized to their fullest.
The Greenfield Recorder is owned by Newspapers of New England, a family-owned company with a commitment to serious community journalism. We offer competitive pay, paid vacation and personal days and benefits including optional health insurance, dental coverage and 401K retirement plan. We are an equal opportunity employer. Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted November 2018
News Department Administrator and Community Editor – Connecticut
Enjoy a variety of responsibilities and work with both staff and readers as the news department’s administrator and community editor. Our regional, locally-owned paper in Connecticut holds high standards and this key manager plays a critical role. The administrator, who reports to the managing editor, coordinates bills and budgets; serves as a liaison to other company departments; manages news clerks and the newsroom librarian, and handles customer service questions. This editor also manages community news and public events; handles basic IT and data journalism opportunities; makes annual election results happen in print and online; and plays a key role in supporting and managing the company’s non-profit Greater Waterbury Campership Fund. This job requires confidentiality; Excel proficiency; teamwork; excellent organization and the ability to change priorities quickly in a fast-paced news environment; budgeting experience; proficiency in managing an electronic payroll and vacation schedule; and the ability to type at least 45 WPM. Any news or AP style knowledge or journalism experience is a plus. The job offers opportunity for growth, particularly with our website and community engagements. The successful candidate will understand and appreciate the newspaper’s responsibilities, mission and journalistic standards. EOE. Benefits include 401K. Deadline to apply: Dec. 15. Cover letter, resume to email@example.com.
Posted November 2018
Newport Editor – Newport, RI
Manager Reports to: Regional Executive Editor
Supervise the planning, creation, editing and production of all content for Newport Daily News, newportri.com and Newport Life magazine. Oversee work of editors and producers, a visible and hands-on leader.
- Provide leadership and communications for Newport news and magazine departments, working at direction of regional executive editor and in cooperation with other department leaders.
- Develop and maintain strategies and specific content initiatives to promote audience growth, working with publisher and web team to assess successes and identify challenges through audience metrics.
- Maintain budget responsibility for Newport news and magazine operations. Take part in all staffing decisions, including hiring, termination and compensation.
- Develop and implement news coverage strategies that will provide operational efficiencies, promote cooperation and expand shared resources amongst all news properties.
- Develop and oversee custom publications.
- Work closely with regional executive editor and Providence editors on regional coverage initiatives.
- Develop and expand digital footprint for news operations, including monitoring practices and submissions required for corporate Inner Circle certification.
- Work with each newsroom editor and regional executive editor to reduce costs and improve selection of syndicated and other shared content, ensuring optimal use of GateHouse-provided content. Serve as principal contact for any legal and ethical considerations regarding news operations, ensuring communications with regional executive editor, publisher and corporate officers as required.
- Share editorials, columns and other articles of regional interest with other GateHouse publications.
- Coordinate staff training efforts and provide coaching for staff members; promote staff development and monitor possible opportunities for advancement within GateHouse.
- Work with other editors and human-resources staff to resolve any disciplinary problems and ensure compliance with all HR policies and procedures.
- Maintain active participation on individual, staff and company level in state and regional press organizations, as well as civic engagement where appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
The essential duties may be changed as required by company needs and conditions and do not include all duties that may be associated with this position.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Able to communicate effectively
- Analyze and interpret the most complex documents
- Respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints
- Compose articles using original or innovative techniques/styles
- Make persuasive speeches and present controversial and/or complex topics to top management, groups or boards
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively with newsroom staff members
- Able to work with numbers to successfully plan and execute financial budgets
- Must have knowledge of, and a vision for coverage of, Newport and nearby towns
- Must have exceptional command of spelling and grammar, as well as appropriate news style writing
- Must have at least a broad knowledge of every newsroom position, i.e., reporting and writing, copy editing, photography, the web, as well as magazine writing and production
Minimum Position Qualifications:
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English or related field
EXPERIENCE: 5 or more years in news management
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Typically the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some movement from area to area, transporting of items such as a laptop computer and reports; standing and walking; driving a motor vehicle.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the primary duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary duties.
To apply email Alan Rosenberg at arosenbe@providencejournal.
Posted November 2018
Director of Community Engagement and Giving – New Hampshire
We are looking for a passionate, creative, experienced fundraiser to take charge of raising money through grants, corporate sponsorships, and individual donations for the nonprofit New Hampshire Center for Public Interest Journalism, which publishes online InDepthNH.org. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of news and the ethics involved in raising money for a nonprofit news outlet in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. The job is part-time but could become fulltime.
The right individual will be use tried and true methods of nonprofit news fundraising plus seek innovative solutions to growing revenue without compromising journalistic integrity, someone with experience in identifying and reaching out to major donors and who can build a community presence through outreach and community events. InDepthNH.org holds government accountable and gives voice to marginalized people, places and ideas. We write unbiased, in-depth stories that encourage civil discourse and civic engagement and are currently expanding our State House and statewide news coverage.
Send resume and cover letter to Nancy West at firstname.lastname@example.org
Freelance Reporters, Videographer – Concord, NH
We are seeking experienced reporters and a videographer for freelance work in Concord, N.H., for a new State House reporting project for the New Hampshire Center for Public Interest Journalism, which publishes online InDepthNH.org. We are also seeking freelance reporters for statewide stories focused on government, business and education. InDepthNH.org holds government accountable and gives voice to marginalized people, places and ideas. We write unbiased, in-depth stories that encourage civil discourse and civic engagement.
Send resume and writing samples to Nancy West at email@example.com
Posted November 2018