Media Jobs In New England
CURRENT JOB OPENINGS
The New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News, New Hampshire’s only statewide daily newspaper and premier website, has been fortunate to have a team of highly successful Independent Advertising Sellers for years.
We are looking to grow our team with a consultative seller that understands the value of selling an engaged, educated and loyal audience. This is a new business, commission only, position that is very lucrative for the right person.
For more information, contact: Bob LeRette Director of Sales & Marketing, Union Leader Corporation firstname.lastname@example.org • Direct 603-206-1527
The New Hampshire Union Leader & UnionLeader.Com has more readers than any other time in their history. With NH’s largest newsroom, The Union Leader delivers trusted news and information on the technology the reader prefers, from printed to smartphones.
Union Leader journalists are dedicated to the issues affecting our cities and towns, keeping a watchful eye on elected officials and making the Granite State the most well-informed in the nation.
The Union Leader seeking a full-time experienced Multimedia Sales Representative to sell print & digital media advertising and event marketing solutions. We are looking to grow our team with a consultative seller that understands the value of selling an engaged, educated and loyal audience. This is a salary plus commission position with a full benefits package.
For more details, contact: Bob LeRette, Director of Sales & Marketing, Union Leader Corporation email@example.com Direct 603-206-1527
The Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram seeks an exceptional page designer/copy editor.
We are an ambitious news organization with high standards, and we need a talented page designer/copy editor who can work in both digital and print. The top candidate will be both a sophisticated story editor and a talented news designer who has a track record of creating compelling pages on deadline. Successful candidates are not just grammar sticklers who write great headlines and draw boxes. They prosecute stories, looking for holes and structural problems. We need an editor who’s comfortable switching back and forth between print and digital – and doing both at the same time. Our copy editors pay close attention to how our journalism is rendered digitally and improve it without being asked. They also run our website from time to time, and they sometimes choose wire stories for publication both online and in print.
A minimum of three to five years editing and designing pages for a news organization is required. The position will require a variety of shifts, including nights and weekends.
If you are the best at what you do and share our zeal for ambitious journalism, this is the opportunity you’ve been waiting for. You will be part of Maine’s finest and largest newsgathering operation, and you’ll live in a region with an extraordinarily high quality of life. Regional candidates preferred; relocation expenses are not available. Send your resume and 3 to 5 examples of your page designs to Managing Editor Steve Greenlee at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are an EEO employer.
- Superior news judgment
- Strong critical thinking abilities
- Unrelenting attention to detail
- Clear, precise writing, headline writing and copy-editing skills
- Strong page design skills
- SEO best practices
NENPA is looking for freelancers to write occasional pieces for our eBulletin profiling industry professionals and New England newspapers. For more information please contact Linda Conway at email@example.com.
Join our innovative team and transform how local businesses think about marketing.
You will be trained in solution-based sales techniques:
- Uncover the unique sales proposition of every client
- Customize a marketing plan that includes:
A multi-media proposal including newspaper, online, niche magazines, email marketing, and lots more products to come this year.
Provide excellent service to existing client base.
This is a high paced, collaborative sales culture that embraces continuous learning and development. Your expertise will be rewarded with competitive performance-based base pay and commissions.
Qualifications · Media sales experience preferable, but not required · Demonstrable track record of achieving aggressive goals. Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to keep organized · highly motivated and desire to succeed and work as part of a fast-paced team · Microsoft Office – Outlook, Word, Excel and adept at learning software apps. · Able to multi-task and manage multiple priorities.
Email your resume to John Hough at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Daily Hampshire Gazette seeks a newshound to help us cover the scenic and culturally diverse Pioneer Valley. The successful candidate will have a strong record of chasing breaking news, sniffing out enterprise stories and writing on daily deadlines. Local knowledge and experience mining a news beat are a plus.
The Gazette, founded in 1786, is one of the nation’s oldest and feistiest local news operations. As we move to a web-first model of breaking news coverage, digital skills and sensibility are a must.
Interested? Send a resume, cover letter, salary expectations and 5 of your best stories to Editor in Chief Brooke Hauser at email@example.com and Managing Editor Dan Crowley at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
The Gazette is owned by Newspapers of New England, a family-owned company with a commitment to serious community journalism.
We offer competitive pay, paid vacation and personal days and benefits including optional health insurance, dental coverage and a 401K retirement plan. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Do you have an omnivorous appetite but discerning palate? Can you write delicious prose about food and drink? Are you knowledgeable about food systems, from farm to table? If your answers are yes, yes and yes, we’d like to meet you! We’re looking for a curious, diligent and experienced reporter who’s eager to sniff out food news, as well as craft compelling stories about the people, places and products that make up the local food scene. Responsibilities would include involvement in the creation of our annual dining and nightlife guide, 7Nights, and Vermont Restaurant Week. In return, we offer a competitive salary, benefits, and a fun, stimulating environment in a thriving, locally owned media company. Note: Applicant must have a current driver’s license, insurance and access to a vehicle, as the position routinely requires in-state travel.
Please email a résumé, cover letter and at least three published articles (web links are acceptable) to email@example.com by Monday, April 29. Seven Days is an equal opportunity employer.
Our award-winning culture crew needs a hand. That is, an excellent writer with reporting experience and unique voice, a passion for the arts, a sense of humor and curiosity about Vermont’s creative sectors. Responsibilities include finding and contributing kickass content in the form of arts news, features, previews, reviews or interviews. In return, we offer a competitive salary, benefits, and a fun, stimulating environment in a thriving, locally owned media company. Note: Applicant must have a current driver’s license, insurance and access to a vehicle, as the position often requires in-state travel. Please email a résumé, cover letter and at least three published articles (web links are acceptable) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, April 29. Seven Days is an equal opportunity employer
The Hartford Courant, a Pulitzer-prize winning publication seeks a journalist adept at world class photography with strong reporting and writing skills to help reinvent storytelling at the Hartford Courant. The migration of readers to social and digital platforms has opened the door to creative storyforms that incorporate words and images into a seamless online experience. The introduction of new formats at the Courant over the last year has driven both creativity in approach and audience engagement. We are looking for the right candidate to continue pushing that effort forward. We Offer: – Entrepreneurial, innovative, rewarding and team oriented work environment – Competitive base salary – Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance – 401(k) match – A generous (paid) flex time off policy. Submit resumes to Rick Green at email@example.com.
The Hartford Courant, a Pulitzer-prize winning publication seeks a Journalist who will create content for courant.com and other digital platforms that engages audiences and supports the newsroom’s mission. Develop, report, analyze and create original news and feature stories in text and other forms, including, when appropriate, video, audio, podcasts, Facebook Live events, simple graphics, etc. We Offer: – Entrepreneurial, innovative, rewarding and team oriented work environment – Competitive base salary – Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance – 401(k) match – A generous (paid) flex time off. Submit resumes to Rick Green at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hartford Courant, a Pulitzer-prize winning publication seeks a Senior Content Editor/Community Engagement who will take the lead in transforming the opinion mission of the Hartford Courant, working with the community to discover – rather than to prescribe – answers to community problems, being a champion for change and fostering diversity of thought, experience and worldview. The Hartford Courant in 2019 will dedicate itself through its opinion department to providing a forum for discussion and a platform for authentic, insightful voices to help drive the community conversation forward. This leader will work to engage stakeholders on key issues, working to understand many perspectives in order to deepen the quality of our own critical thinking and to signal that the Courant is welcoming, open-minded, independent, and respectful of all parties. The approaches will vary, but will include using in-person, social and digital tools to transform the editorial model and give voice to thought leaders in every corner of the community. We Offer: – Entrepreneurial, innovative, rewarding and team oriented work environment – Competitive base salary – Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance – 401(k) match – An unlimited (paid) flex time off policy. Submit resumes to Rick Green at email@example.com.
The Hartford Courant, a Pulitzer-prize winning publication with a proven track record of high impact watchdog journalism, is looking for an editor to champion and lead investigative efforts across the Courant newsroom. At a time when the political establishment is becoming both more guarded and defiant, the need to demand accountability and transparency is critical. The leader of this effort will have a two-part mission: Lead a dedicated team while also working to elevate the investigative metabolism of reporters across the entire newsroom. The ideal candidate will have experience in investigative journalism and a passion for telling the stories that need to be told. We Offer: – Entrepreneurial, innovative, rewarding and team oriented work environment – Competitive base salary – Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance – 401(k) match – An unlimited (paid) flex time off policy. Submit resumes to Rick Green at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Multimedia Politics Reporter- Springfield, MA
The Republican, located in Springfield, MA us looking for for a motivated, dedicated reporter who eats, breathes and sleeps politics, to live in Western Massachusetts and write about state and national issues from a regional perspective. You need a solid multimedia skill set, the ability to write on contentious issues and elections from a completely impartial point of view, and the initiative to own your beat. You also need the personal bandwidth to find your own stories and work independently while always keeping the team in the loop about your efforts. The ideal candidate will work from the office and field, file stories and photos/video remotely, and break the news when it happens.
Job Requirements Also Include:
- The ability to report, write clean copy, and break down complicated issues;
- The savvy to work remotely, on the fly, without the constraints of an office environment;
- The personality and tact to build an extensive source base to help scoop the competition and stay one step ahead of the news;
- Ability to aggregate from credible sources;
- Willingness to consistently engage audience on social media and MassLive comment streams;
- Knowledge of SEO best practices;
- Experience with a digital content management system;
- Early adopter of new technologies, new processes and best practices for creating and maintaining digital content to drive audience growth;
- The flexibility to work some evenings and a weekend general assignment shift;
- The ability to travel to cover national political conventions, presidential debates and events such as the New Hampshire primary;
- B.A. degree or equivalent experience.
The Republican offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including health & dental benefits, paid time off and 401k with match. The Republican is an equal opportunity employer. Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Part-time Journalism Instructor, Emerson College- Massachusetts
The Journalism Department at Emerson College is expanding and is seeking experienced journalists to teach part-time introductory or intermediate courses for the Fall 2019 semester. If you have several years of experience in reporting, editing or TV/radio production and if you want to teach at the college level, please send an email and a resume to Karen Bordeleau at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submissions is April 15, 2019.
Chief Revenue Officer, The Day Publishing Company- New London, Connecticut
We are looking for an innovative and experienced sales leader that has extensive and proven success to lead our sales organization to the next level of performance. The successful candidate will have an entrepreneurial mindset and the energy and passion to develop, lead and execute The Day’s revenue generation strategy. The CRO will work as our lead sales strategist driving best in class performance across advertising sales teams, marketing, creative, audience development, and agency services. The CRO is a vital member of The Day executive team and will collaborate with the president and publisher to generate additional revenue streams via digital marketing solutions, special events, advertising and marketing agency services, magazines, digital subscriptions and new e-commerce opportunities.
- Define, develop and execute our sales and retention strategy to drive accelerated and profitable revenue growth. Lead a team of sales and operational leaders working both strategically and tactically to drive revenue performance and operational excellence to enhance sales team performance.
- Create a high performing sales culture; assess, refine & innovate structure, processes and systems.
- Hold sales managers accountable for performance by reviewing metrics, including forecasting to maximize opportunities and determine areas for improvement.
- Lead creative new multimedia business development efforts to meet and exceed revenue growth objectives.
- Work with sales leaders to manage and develop customer growth strategies to expand share of our advertising customer’s marketing budgets.
- Adapt plans and priorities by interpreting evolving industry trends and understanding changing customer needs.
- Oversee sales operations to systematically train & equip current sales teams and onboard and train new sales representatives to maximum effectiveness.
- Evaluate and refine sales compensation models and reward & recognition systems to maximize impact.
- Work collaboratively with executive team on strategy and implementation of company initiatives.
- Sales Experience: At least ten years’ sales experience in a media sales organization.
- Management Experience: At least 5 years’ experience as a senior leader in a media company, preferably in the newspaper industry. Experience leading multiple sales teams and support departments.
- Team Leadership: Proven ability to mentor, coach, and develop people and lead high-performing teams.
- Revenue Growth: Proven track record of driving significant revenue growth and adept at creating new revenue opportunities.
- Innovative Thinking: Visionary, strategic and creative thinker who embraces and leads change efforts through innovative strategies, action plans, and resources.
- Sales Knowledge: Deep understanding of sales process, revenue forecasting, and revenue growth levers, preferably with strong digital sales experience.
- Ethical Standards: High level of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Marketer: Strong knowledge and understanding of all facets of advertising and marketing.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Leads with integrity to foster collaboration with cross-functional leaders.
- Strong Communication: Excellent presenter and communicator with internal and external customers and partners.
- Strategic Thinker: Ability to develop strategy with disciplined execution.
Qualified candidates should apply with a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The Day Publishing Company is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity.
Journalist- Cape Cod
The Cape Cod Times is seeking a talented journalist for a key role in our award-winning newsroom.
The ideal candidate is a born leader who has strong writing and editing skills, experience leading enterprise projects, an innovative spirit, and is equally comfortable working on print and digital. The News Editor oversees news editors, reporters and photographers while working closely with other departments to produce top-shelf journalism in a wide variety of forms for a multitude of platforms. It is a hard, but rewarding job that wields significant influence in the newsroom and in the community.
Cape Cod is an interesting community to cover, with a year-round population largely comprised of college-educated retirees but with layers of diversity in age, race and socio-economic status. Tourism is the dominant industry and the face of the Cape changes significantly in the summer and shoulder seasons.
Job expectations include:
- Working with the Executive Editor and other newsroom editors in developing and implementing news strategies.
- Having strong organizational and communication skills.
- Having hands-on experience editing stories on deadline and contributing to large-scale editorial projects.
- Working closely with digital team in analyzing data and formulating strategies for audience growth.
- Tracking and evaluate team and individual performance and lead training efforts to develop staff.
- Having the ability to be both decisive and collaborative.
- Upholding the highest standards of content quality and journalism ethics.
Four-year college degree in journalism or related field, at least three years’ supervisory experience and fluency with various aspects of digital media.
If you are an enthusiastic believer in the future of journalism, enjoy working hard while having fun, and excel when working with others, we are looking for you. Send a letter of interest, resume and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “NEWS EDITOR” in the subject line.