NENPA maintains this job bank for journalists, editors, publishers, journalism photographers, newspaper ad sales, and more. Find or post all newspaper-related jobs and journalism jobs here. Browse through newspaper employment opportunities that are available throughout New England.
Posting a Job
For NENPA Members
Member newspapers may post journalism and
newspaper job openings for FREE.
Post a job openings for $400 per listing.
RJ Media Group is a 5th generation, family owned media company operating in Central Connecticut and Southeastern Connecticut/Southern Rhode Island. We publish 2 daily newspapers, 7 community weeklies, 2 websites and employ 125 people in two locations. We are seeking a dynamic leader who is motivated to play a key role shaping the newest division of our company, HOMEBASE Digital. HOMEBASE will be a full-service digital agency, offering marketing solutions that fuel business growth in our communities.
This leader on our senior management team will help build our strategic plan for HOMEBASE and then execute the strategy. He/she will be actively involved in sales and fulfillment as they build out the team to align with our growth. For a seasoned digital media executive with an entrepreneurial mindset who wants to be a part of a fast-moving company focused on growth, without the corporate grind, this could be the perfect opportunity for you!
The Managing Director will be responsible for leading the agency team, including revenue generation, post-sale fulfillment, training, market research, customer service, vendor review/selection and the P&L. He/she will assist and coach the sales force in effectively selling digital media campaigns. The Managing Director will also proactively identify new digital sales opportunities as well as ensure optimum advertiser performance with online campaigns.
- Create the annual HOMEBASE Digital revenue and expense budgets.
- Lead marketing efforts for HOMEBASE Digital to increase brand awareness in support of sales goals.
- Maintain awareness of local competitors in the marketplace, always striving to improve the competitive position of HOMEBASE Digital.
- Manage direct and indirect reports to achieve revenue/expense budgets and other goals.
- Stay abreast of regional and national trends via involvement in industry associations and other relevant groups.
- Attend community and professional events as necessary.
- Lead revenue generation activities at the senior level, prospect for new business and work through the sales process to close business.
- Develop & sell HOMEBASE products and programs, demonstrating value to new and existing customers.
- Ensure HOMEBASE Digital media consultants meet or exceed monthly digital sales goals, anticipating any challenges, and working with sales team and other sales management to determine strategies to overcome possible shortfalls.
- Provide support, coaching, training and digital product information to sales team.
- Maintain a customer-first environment with a proactive commitment to internal and external customer service.
- Manage campaign performance and advertiser satisfaction throughout the campaign.
- Manage retention efforts to ensure customers are not lost while acquiring new accounts.
- Maintain awareness of trends in campaign fulfillment and adjust HOMEBASE Digital fulfillment structure to meet changes in sales volume and industry advances.
- College degree required.
- Five years digital media management experience, with social media skills required.
- Computer skills required, including strong proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Comfortable with a player/coach position, especially in the early stages.
- Possess high degree of business and personal integrity.
- Ability to drive others to achieve desired performance objectives.
- Technologically savvy with a keen interest in all things digital.
- Ability to manage and interpret data.
- Results oriented with an understanding of profit & loss, ROI & pricing sensitivity.
- Organized, efficient and able to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work cooperatively with coworkers and managers.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including spelling, punctuation and grammar.
If this sounds like your next job, email resume, cover letter & salary requirements to Liz White at email@example.com.
Posted September 2017
The Newport Daily News in Newport, R.I., is seeking a full-time copy editor to join its team of experienced journalists. Applicants should have a college degree and experience in text editing, headline writing and page design. Applicants must be fluent in InDesign and Photoshop. The ideal candidate also will have knowledge of digital and social media.
Send cover letter, resume and samples of your work (headlines and page designs) to Managing Editor Jon Zins at Editor@NewportRI.com or P.O. Box 420, Newport, RI 02840. No phone calls please.
Posted August 2017
The Daily Hampshire Gazette is seeking an Advertising Director with high energy, proven success in driving revenue, and a passion for the media business to fill a position in beautiful Western Massachusetts.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a seasoned leader with the ability to motivate, educate, and guide a sales team with a variety of levels of experience.
- Have the ability to develop and execute sales plans to achieve digital, print, niche, and event revenue goals.
- Have the capacity to analyze market conditions and develop sales strategies to achieve revenue targets.
- Have the collaborative spirit to work with the news organization’s management team to achieve company goals.
Other qualifications include:
- A bachelor’s degree in advertising, marketing, business administration or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 5 years of successful advertising management experience.
- Experience budgeting and goal setting.
- Knowledge of forecasting tools.
- Experience using a CRM system.
Compensation includes a base salary commensurate with experience and a performance-based bonus opportunity. We offer excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, 401K and more. The Daily Hampshire Gazette is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of diversity in our workforce.
The Daily Hampshire Gazette is a Newspapers of New England media company based in Northampton, MA. One of the oldest newspapers in the country, the Gazette has a long history of award winning journalism and community leadership. If you are interested in joining a quality news organization please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Posted July 2017
The Republican-American of Waterbury, Conn. seeks an energetic sports media pro who is ready to help create a new way to consume sports information. If you are a multi-skilled sports journalist with experience in both print production and digital media, plus an open-minded outlook at exploring new challenges and opportunities in journalism, this is a good fit for you. Web skills (just about anything short of coding), social media adeptness and the ability to tell stores through video are necessary. If you are interested in being a key part of a strategy to help consumers digest the huge amount of material coming at them every day, and are able to spot sports trends before they become traditions, tell us how you’ve done it. EEO.
Email email@example.com with SPORTS REPORTER in the subject line.
Posted July 2017
Part-Time Distribution Drivers– based in Auburn, MA
Seeking Distribution Drivers to work 20-25 hours per week, four-hour shifts available seven days per week. Hours worked are between 9:00 p.m.-4:00 a.m. Company truck (26 foot straight truck) provided. Standard Class D driver’s license needed (CDL preferred, but not required). Pick up pallets of papers and deliver to various distribution depots. Excellent driving record required. Must be able to pass DOT physical. Reliability and detail oriented focus required. Interested and qualified candidates can apply in person at the GateHouse Media New England office at 475 Washington Street, Auburn or e-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Part-Time Weekend Spare District Driver-based in Braintree, MA
For the Enterprise a Spare District Driver makes deliveries to stores, vending machines and other various outlets. A Driver is responsible for following and completing a specific route in a timely manner. Ability to lift bundles of newspapers weighing up to 40 lbs. repetitively. A Spare District Driver is required to pass a DOT physical. 2 day work schedule – Saturday and Sunday early morning (1:00 a.m.-6:30 a.m.), 11 hours per week. Interested and qualified candidates can apply in person at the GateHouse Media New England office at 135 Bay State Drive, Braintree, MA or e-mail resume to email@example.com
Part-Time Distribution Driver-based in Braintree, MA
For the Patriot Ledger the Distribution Driver is responsible to make deliveries to Stores and Honor Boxes (single copy) as well as drops to some Carrier Routes or third party vendors. They may also be involved in collections as assigned. A Driver is responsible for following and completing a specific route in a timely manner. Must have a valid Mass. license with a good driving record. Must pass a DOT physical. Interested and qualified candidates can apply in person at the GateHouse Media New England office at 135 Bay State Drive, Braintree, MA or e-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Full-Time Press Operators, Assistant Press Operators-based in Auburn, MA
Goss Community or Urbanite experience preferred. Martin and Enkel zero-speed roll stands. Willing to train other cold-web press operators. General Help Position also available for the right person. Must have an excellent mechanical aptitude. Prior experience working on machinery is a plus. In-house step program designed for employee growth in the department. Salary based on experience. If interested e-mail resume to email@example.com or via fax at 781-433-6947 or stop by to complete an application at the GateHouse Media New England office at 475 Washington Street, Auburn, MA.
Part-Time General Help-based in Auburn, MA
Also seeking help in Distribution Center in Auburn on part-time basis. Working with mechanical insertation machines, counting, bundling, stacking and package product for shipment to various locations. If interested e-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax at 781-433-6947 or stop by to complete an application at the GateHouse Media New England office at 475 Washington Street, Auburn, MA.
Full-Time Inserter Operator-based in Auburn, MA
Newstec SLS1000 experience preferred. Must have a strong mechanical aptitude and be capable of working in a deadline-oriented environment. Prior experience in newspaper inserting a plus. If interested e-mail resume to email@example.com or via fax at 781-433-6947 or stop by to complete an application at the GateHouse Media New England office at 475 Washington Street, Auburn, MA.
Posted July 2017
NIGHT LOCAL DESK & WEB EDITOR
Keep our news report timely and useful right up to deadline; push our online reporting to new levels; and be a big player in publishing and growing rep-am.com. The Republican-American of Waterbury, Conn. seeks a night local desk and web editor. This editor runs the local news desk at night with one foot planted in print and the other online, handling breaking news and late stories for rep-am.com, print and social media. Duties include editing copy, managing the local news report and staff at night, proofing pages, freshening up social media, and publishing that night’s local news online. This editor strives to find creative ways to present, supplement and expand our reporting online and also manages election planning and helps with enterprise ideas and projects. Your day starts at 3 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday. Benefits at this locally-owned company include 401K, competitive health plan. Email portfolio, resume and letter that includes the one standout reason you’re the best candidate, with LOCAL NEWS EDITOR in your subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted July 2017
Are you a high-energy individual with boundless curiosity, strong writing skills and aspirations to join the exciting world of journalism? If so, The Eagle-Tribune would like to speak to you about becoming a beat reporter in the newsy area of the Merrimack Valley of Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire. Qualified candidates will have a journalism or closely related degree. Reporting and writing experience for a college publication is a must, as is knowledge of AP style, proficiency with social media, and basic photo and video skills. The job will be a mix of beat reporting and producing stories daily for our website and print, as well as enterprising and investigative reporting and magazine writing.
The Eagle-Tribune is two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning, three-edition daily newspaper with a flagship Sunday edition. We have a vibrant newsroom with a balanced mix of experience and young reporters, as well as a staff of talented, seasoned editors.
Ideal candidates should have a bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field, but we really want to know what you’re able to do in a modern newsroom. Three years’ experience writing for a daily publication required. Candidates must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, reliable transportation and current auto insurance.
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements, along with examples of materials demonstrating your skills and experience to email@example.com
The Eagle-Tribune is part of the North of Boston Media Group, a subsidiary of Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc., a multi-media company based in North Andover, MA, with 8 newspaper publications which include four daily newspapers (The Eagle-Tribune, The Salem News, Daily News of Newburyport and Gloucester Daily Times), 15 magazines and award winning websites. For more information on NOBMG, visit http://www.nobmg.com.
North of Boston Media Group offers a comprehensive benefits package; including health, dental, vision, life, long and short term disability, and 401(k).
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Posted June 2017
The Addison Independent, an award-winning twice-weekly newspaper based in Middlebury, Vt., is seeking an experienced advertising representative for an established account list in Middlebury, but including the Burlington area. Individual must be excited to represent existing print and digital marketing plans as well as budding new digital platforms.
Challenging, fast-paced work both within the office and on the road. Must have professional appearance, attention to detail and a creative attitude. This position offers ample opportunity to excel.
Commission-based compensation, with salary component, health care, 401K benefits and flexible work schedule.
The candidate for this position will excel at creating and closing new opportunities.
- Meet and exceed sales targets
- Successfully create business from new and existing customer accounts
- Manage complex negotiations and build strong relationships
- Media sales experience preferable
- Demonstrable track record of setting aggressive goals and exceeding expectations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to keep organized
- Highly motivated desire to succeed and work as part of a fast-paced team
Please send resumé with a cover letter, plus three references to:
Christy Lynn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted June 2017
Come join the top news team in one of Connecticut’s fastest-growing cities.
As the newest reporter for The Advocate, you will join a 125-year-old tradition of journalistic excellence and play a vital role in chronicling a growing city.
Stamford’s location on the water and proximity to New York City have created a vibrant business and recreational hub for young professionals, while also providing leafy suburbs for families.
- Working closely with their editors, reporters break news every day for StamfordAdvocate.com and social media platforms, and turn around intelligent and in-depth enterprise stories for the print newspaper.
- In this role, you will be responsible for covering a beat, getting to know its players and workings. You will be expected to tell people not only what happened, but why it happened, and what could happen next.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Journalism, English or related field
- Excellent reporting skills
- To be considered for this position, you must demonstrate a command of writing and understand how to produce superior content across multiple platforms.
- Valid driver’s license and a working vehicle are required for this position.
Posted June 2017
The Monadnock Ledger-Transcript is looking for an entry-level reporter. The ideal candidate is smart, endlessly curious and passionately committed to journalism — and they love (or want to learn to love) holding officials accountable and filing public records requests.
This position requires strong news reporting, writing, photography and social media skills. Candidates should have people skills and an insatiable appetite for reporting wide-ranging enterprise stories and the ability to build an engaged online community.
The position will require some evening hours and some weekend work. Must have a valid driver’s license and properly insured motor vehicle. Part-time or full-time opportunity. Pay is negotiable depending on experience, but starts around $12 an hour. We pay mileage, too, if that helps.
Please email your resume and three clips to:
Posted June 2017
The Times Record, located in the college town of Brunswick in beautiful Midcoast Maine, is seeking a community-minded reporter to join our news team. We need someone who can hit deadlines and produce two stories a day, M-F. Must produce clean, concise copy and know how to take a good photograph. This would be a good fit for a recent journalism major graduate, or for someone looking to move from a weekly to a daily paper. Experience with social media is preferable. The right candidate will quickly forge a trust between themselves and members of the community and will demonstrate a passion for community journalism. Send a cover letter, resume, and three clips to email@example.com. The Times Record is an equal opportunity employer.
Posted June 2017
The locally owned and award-winning Keene (N.H.) Sentinel is seeking a skilled front-line copy editor and writer for its universal copy desk.
The right candidate will edit stories as they come in on an afternoon deadline, posting them to the web and preparing them for print in the next day’s paper.
Candidates must have strong understanding of grammar and an appreciation for effective storytelling techniques, and be able to spot inconsistencies and content holes in stories. They should also have a solid grasp of AP style and headline writing competency.
Copy editors on the universal desk work closely with each other and reporters daily, so communication and collaboration are a must.
The copy editor will also plan coverage for the Sentinel’s local environment beat, which will include writing a local environment-themed story for Monday’s section.
The copy editor will also cull, edit and paginate content for assigned feature pages and local pages when needed. Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and PhotoShop is a plus.
The expected schedule for this position is Sunday through Thursday.
The Sentinel is the nation’s fifth-oldest continuously published newspaper. Keene is part of the scenic Monadnock Region, the largest of more than two dozen communities in the paper’s coverage area.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume and samples of your work that demonstrate editing and writing capabilities to Ross Ewing, Copy Desk Chief, The Keene Sentinel, 60 West St., Keene, N.H. 03431, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted June 2017