Nominations are now being accepted for the 2020 Yankee Quill award.
2020 marks the 60th anniversary of this prestigious award, administered by the New England Society of News Editors Foundation.
The award recognizes the efforts and dedication of those in New England who have had a broad influence for good in the field of journalism.
Recipients are inducted into the Academy of New England Journalists upon receiving the Yankee Quill award in the fall. The 2019 honorees were:
- Ross Connelly, longtime New England journalist who retired as editor and co-publisher of the Hardwick Gazette in Vermont.
- Callie Crossley, WGBH radio and TV in Boston; host of Basic Black, panelist on Beat the Press, producer, filmmaker and role model for women and people of color.
- Dan Kennedy, media critic and journalism professor at Northeastern University.
- Angelo Lynn, owner of the Addison Press and publisher-editor of Addison Independent in Vermont.
- John C. Peterson, of Connecticut, who has worked 50 years as newspaper consultant, group president, publisher and editor.
Selection for the award is not based on a single distinguished achievement. Rather, the Yankee Quill recognizes the effort and dedication of those in New England who have had a broad influence for good in the field of journalism. In other words, it is not based on a certain achievement in reporting, writing or editing or on the fact that someone runs a good newspaper or broadcast show or station. Instead, it honors a lifetime of contribution to the profession.
Nominations may range across the entire field of journalism — including daily and weekly newspapers, radio and television news coverage, and other forms of media that meet the tests of journalism.
Members of the Academy of New England Journalists, along with the representatives of several New England media associations, will select the persons to receive the Yankee Quill Award this year.
The links to the nomination forms can be found by clicking here.
The deadline for nominations is Friday, August 21, 2020.
Nominations may be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or hard copies may be mailed to:
1 Arrow Drive, Suite 6
Woburn MA 01801
For further information contact:
George Geers, academy chair, email@example.com, (603) 785-4811
Linda Conway, academy clerk, firstname.lastname@example.org, (781) 281-7648